On Saturday December 16, 2013 Alif received a special visit from from IRC's representative Mr. Duncan de la Fled.
From November 1, 2013 until December 16, 2013 Alif collected non perishable food items to donate to IRC Food Bank. Amana Academy School partnered with us in this project.
Mr. Duncan de la Fled came in person to Alif Institute to thank the children and parents for their generosity, and had this message to share with us and with Amana Academy:
“Thank you so much for your overwhelming donation. I have to tell you that I have been the Donations Coordinator for the IRC for almost 3 years, and this is by far the largest food donation we have received. I hope that you - and everyone who contributed - know how much of an impact you are making in the lives of recently resettled refugees.”
A warm thank you to all Alif members, friends and visitors that contributed to this food drive!
NEW ALIF EXHIBIT: WINDOWS TO THE ARAB WORLD
Dear Alif Community,
We are proud and excited to announce that Alif has just received a grant from The Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta to build a permanent and mobile exhibit to teach about various aspects of Arab culture and Arab Americans with a special focus on Georgia!
We will begin with two units: Arab Immigrants in Georgia and Diversity of the Arab World. Windows to the Arab World will be interactive, and we hope to include special features for teachers, such as teacher guides and resource lists. The exhibit will be based at Alif, but we will be happy to lend the exhibit for display at schools or other institutions in addition to welcoming visits to Alif to see the exhibit.
WE NEED YOUR HELP! This project is a huge undertaking and we will need to harness all of our community’s resources to make it happen.
- For the unit on Arab immigrants in Georgia, we are calling upon everyone who hails from an Arab country to SHARE YOUR STORY with us.
- Interested in SERVING ON THE EXHIBIT ORGANIZING COMMITTEE? The first meeting will be on Tuesday, June 17 at 7:00 PM.
- Do you have any ITEMS TO DONATE for the exhibit? We are looking for EVERY DAY ITMES that will help us tell the story of Arab American daily life, such as: For the unit on Diversity in the Arab World, we would appreciate donations of ITEMS TYPICAL OF LIFE IN THE ARAB WORLD, such as: art, musical instruments, ceramics, textiles, photos…
- Old letters, Old Pictures
- Old suitcases or trunks for the display.
- Gently used ipods or tablets so that we can make this exhibit as interactive as possible.
For Alif, this is a significant and meaningful way to fulfill our mission of fostering the understanding and appreciation of Arab culture while connecting humanity through the power of arts & culture.
In small ways and large ways, you can help us KEEP ARAB CULTURE ALIVE!
The Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta connects donors, nonprofits and community leaders to strengthen the Atlanta region through philanthropy. The Community Foundation does this by providing quality services to donors and innovative leadership on community issues. Please visit the Foundation’s website at www.cfgreateratlanta.org for more information.